Standard 1. Assessment
- The SN collects comprehensive data pertinent to the healthcare consumer's health and/or situation.
Standard 2. Diagnosis
- The SN analyzes the assessment data to determine the diagnoses or issues.
Standard 3. Outcomes Identification
- The SN identifies expected outcomes for a plan individualized to the healthcare.
Standard 4. Planning
- The SN develops a plan that prescribes strategies and alternatives to attain expected outcomes.
Standard 5. Implementation
- The SN implements the identified plan.
5. A. Coordination of Care
- The SN coordinates care delivery.
5. B. Health Teaching and Health Promotion
- The SN employs strategies to promote health and a safe environment, especially regarding health education.
5. C. Consultation
- The SN provides consultation to influence the identified plan, enhance the abilities of others, and effect change.
5. D. Prescriptive Authority and Treatment
- The ARPN uses prescriptive authority, procedures, referrals, treatments, and therapies in accordance with state/federal laws.
Standard 6. Evaluation
- The SN evaluates the progress toward attainment of outcomes.
Standards of Professional Performance
Standard 7. Ethics
- The SN practices ethically.
Standard 8. Education
- The SN attains knowledge and competence that reflect current nursing practice.
Standard 9. Evidence-Based Practice and Research
- The SN integrates evidence and research findings into practice.
Standard 10. Quality of Practice
- The SN Contributes to quality nursing practice.
Standard 11. Communication
- The SN communicates effectively in a variety of formats in all areas of practice.
Standard 12. Leadership
- The SN demonstrates leadership in the professional practice setting and the profession.
Standard 13. Collaboration
- The SN collaborates with the healthcare consumer, family, school staff, and others in the conduct of nursing practice.
Standard 14. Professional Practice Evaluation
- The SN evaluates one's own nursing practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statues, rules, and regulations.
Standard 15. Resource Utilization
- The SN utilizes appropriate resources to plan and provide nursing services that are safe, effective, and financially responsible.
Standard 16. Environmental Health
- The SN practices in an environmentally safe and healthy manner.
Standard 17. Program Management
- The SN manages school health services.
From: National Association of School Nurses and American Nurses Association. (2011). School nursing Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). MD: nursesbooks.org.